I've played 27 holes in the last two days. On Thursday I played 9 with Tyler. It had been awhile since I played with him, probably 2 or 3 months. Needless to say I didn't play very well, not one solid shot. I think I was 7 over for the round, just trying to save bogeys on every hole, though I did have 3 pars which felt like bogeys. After playing I hit the range for about 15 minutes before it closed and I really couldn't figure it out there either. I was a little bummed as I headed home.
Friday I played 18 holes with Doug and Ron at Sunset Whitney, again for a couple of sodas. I took a triple bogey on the first hole, already putting me behind both Doug and Ron, and that's how it stayed the whole day. It was one of those days where the putter was hot and the rest of the game was cold. I pretty much conceded the match after the 10th hole.
But after the 10th hole I started picking Ron's brain about his swing. He'd recently starting doing some swing changes himself and was hitting the ball really well. He's basing it on the Jimmy Ballard philosophy. I started watching his swing more closely to see what he was doing, and decided to start trying it on the 11th hole. I went par, bogey, par, par, par, par, bogey (should have had a par on the last hole but I misread the putt). Also about the 15th hole Doug became my caddie. He was telling me I was under-clubbing, so I told him he could be my caddie for the rest of the round. I was able to get through the ball much easier with Ron's swing. It really is a pretty simple swing. Since Ron was helping me with my swing I decided to help him with his putting. I think he had 5 or 6 one-putts on the back 9. I had him move the ball back in his stance along with a straight back and straight-through swing. I told him to play more break than he thinks there is. He stopped missing his little 3-5 footers. We may have created a monster with his golf swing and improved putting... I think he could go low today.
So when I got home last night I decided to do a little research on Jimmy Ballard. I found some video of him on the Golf Channel and like what he has to say. I'm still keeping some of the Sean Foley stuff in my swing and adding some of Jimmy Ballard. I guess we'll see what happens today at Peach Tree Country Club. I'm thinking I could get 79.
Favorite Golf Courses Played
- Torrey Pines (South Course), La Jolla, CA
- Makai Golf Club, Princeville, HI
- Steele Canyon (Canyon/Ranch), Jamul, CA
- Gray's Crossing, Truckee, CA
- Torrey Pines (North Course), La Jolla, CA
- Sevillano Links Golf Course, Corning, CA
- North Ridge Country Club, Fair Oaks, CA
- Alta Sierra Country Club, Grass Valley, CA
- Granite Bay Golf Club, Roseville, CA
- Sunset Whitney Country Club, Rocklin, CA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment